Thursday, October 5, 2023

Blog #8 Privacy Online And Off

 Just because you don't see it doesn't mean it's not there. This quote from the Ted Talk by Catherine Crump really stuck with me. Hearing her talk about the surveillance all around us made me really start to question some things about the government. 

The police have cameras everywhere and are in most cases in places we cant even see. 

I don't like the idea of having a camera on me all throughout the day. In the video, Crump mentioned a person who was being tracked because of his license plate. 

The man had done nothing wrong but the cameras were all license plate readers and kept taking pictures of his care whenever he passed by. 

Another thing that really freaked me was the website Face.com and how it was sold to Facebook in 2012. The website exists to just keep track of faces online. 

People can also use it to try and identify people in pictures and find out who they are and some basic info about them. Police have also gotten really good with facial recognition and can use AI to identify anyone, even if it's a blurry surveillance photo. 

The fact that there could be pictures of me out there just like that makes me feel uneasy. It's interesting that the government takes these pictures just to hold onto them in case they are valuable in the future. It's like they are building evidence to use against you even if you have done nothing wrong. 

There was another video where the speaker kept talking about tattoos. He said that our digital footprint is like a tattoo and can follow us everywhere. Everything from a picture we liked on instagram to a store where we swiped our credit car. It's all there and tracked for the government to see. 

It feels strange that the government would need to know that someone spent money at a grocery store or went out to eat at a restaurant. It's useless information about a person except where their favorite place to eat is. 

I understand that the government wants surveillance because they want to keep their citizens safe. However I feel like it's wrong for them to be tracking and recording people who have done nothing wrong. It makes me feel under a microscope and question everything that I've done. 

I know that I haven't done any wrong but now seeing these videos it makes me wonder what information the government knows about me. 

I don't think the government should be allowed to spy on people like they are. It's a total invasion of privacy and makes me feel uneasy. 

I don't think the government should have as much access to peoples personal lives as they do now and I think more people need to start talking about it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog #12 Final Post: Relationship with Technology

I constantly think about how technology is going to take over the world one day. Everyday I feel like there is a new piece of technology tha...