Monday, November 27, 2023

Blog #12 Final Post: Relationship with Technology

I constantly think about how technology is going to take over the world one day.

Everyday I feel like there is a new piece of technology that comes out to supposedly make life easier. 

This scares me. 

Soon enough there's going to be a machine or computer that can do everything a human can do and probably do it better. 

My relationship with technology could be a lot better. I'm not on my phone constantly which I love because I don't want to get into that habit. I'm not on it when walking to class or when Im eating dinner with a friend. 

I go on my phone when I'm bored or when I just want to relax. Sometimes I do spend too long on it but I catch myself. I don't want to become obsessed with my phone and only want to use it when I have nothing else to do. 

There are then times when I am out at dinner and I look over and see a couple who are both on their phones not talking. I think technology has ruined human relationships in that way. 

This young couple weren't even looking at each other and instead were both scrolling separately on their phones. I don't think that's much of a relationship if that's what a Friday night dinner looks like and I think it's technology's fault. 

However, saying this sounds a lot easier than it is. Technology is everywhere and I need to use it everyday not even for my own pleasure but for school and completing assignments. 

I think technology at the beginning was this fascinating new invention and was great for making information more accessible. Now I think it's reached a point where it's too saturated and filled with junk. 

It's gotten to the point where people get distracted by technology while already using a different piece of it. People get distracted from their computers with their phones. Statically 47% of Americans say they are addicted to their phones. 

The average American checks their phone 352 times per day. 

It's not even that there are important things on the phone that a person would need to check. Sometimes there are and that's totally understandable why someone would be checking their phone. 

However most of the time we check our phone because we don't want to miss anything and feel left out. 

This all sounds very negative. I think technology also has a lot of pros that do actually improve the lives of people. It has made working and research so much easier and gives us the answers we are looking for in a matter of seconds. 

Connecting with long distance friends and family has never been easier. FaceTime is the greatest feature on the Apple products in my opinion. Being away at college feels immensely different because I can FaceTime my family everyday.

Technology has completely transformed the way we live our lives. It's almost like we now revolve around it. 

I hope technology does its job but stays where it is. I don't want it to take over the world even more than it already has. 






 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog #12 Final Post: Relationship with Technology

I constantly think about how technology is going to take over the world one day. Everyday I feel like there is a new piece of technology tha...